The Ideal Timber Species for Feather Edge Fence Panels
Feather edge fence panels, also known as close board or overlapping fence panels, are a popular choice amongst homeowners seeking a durable and visually appealing option for their garden limits. These fences are designed with overlapping boards that create a strong barrier against wind, offering privacy and security for your property. Selecting the ideal timber species for feather edge fence panels is crucial for ensuring the fence's longevity, visual appearance, and its ability to withstand the elements. In this article, we will delve into the best timber species for these panels, with a special focus on Spruce.
Timber Species: A Brief Overview
Various timber species have different properties, making them suitable for different applications. Some have excellent resistance to decay, while others may have superior strength and dimensional stability. When it comes to feather edge fence panels, the following characteristics are essential:
- Resistance to decay and pests
- The ability to take treatment (e.g., preservatives) evenly
- A visually pleasing appearance
- Dimensional stability
East Coast Fencing, a reputable fencing supplier, recommends Spruce as the ideal timber species, particularly when sourced from Ireland. This is due to the wood's exceptional ability to take treatment evenly and provide an aesthetically appealing finish.
Why Spruce Stands Out
Spruce, a genus of coniferous trees belonging to the family Pinaceae, is native to the Northern Hemisphere. It is highly appreciated for its resilience and strength, making it a popular choice for various construction projects. Some of the key factors contributing to its popularity for feather edge fence panels are:
- Even Treatment Absorption: Spruce has an exceptional ability to absorb treatments evenly. This is essential for fence panels, as treated wood is less likely to rot, decay, or become infested by pests, thereby increasing the fence's durability.
- Visual Appeal: Spruce's tight-grain pattern and light colour make it a visually pleasing option for fence panels. Furthermore, Spruce timber tends to have fewer knots than alternatives, resulting in an even and attractive appearance.
- Sustainability: Irish Spruce is regarded as a sustainable choice, as Ireland is known for its responsibly-managed forests. By opting for Irish Spruce, homeowners can rest assured that they are making an environmentally-conscious decision.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Spruce is an affordable timber species, making it a cost-effective option for those on a budget.
Treatment and Maintenance of Spruce Fence Panels
To maintain the appearance and durability of your Spruce feather edge fence panels, it is essential to treat the wood with a quality preservative and perform regular maintenance. It is recommended that you:
- Use a high-quality treatment specifically designed for outdoor timber, such as water-based preservatives containing wax or an oil-based stain.
- Apply the treatment every few years, depending on the product's specifications and the local weather conditions.
- Repair or replace any damaged or rotting fence panels as soon as they are identified.
Spruce, especially when sourced from Ireland, is an exceptional choice for feather edge fence panels due to its ability to take treatment evenly, its visually pleasing appearance, and its sustainability credentials. By selecting this timber species for your fence panels and ensuring proper treatment and maintenance, you can create a stunning and robust barrier that will stand the test of time while being kinder to the environment.