The Easiest Fence to Install Yourself in the UK
When it comes to securing the borders around your property in the UK, wooden fencing is a popular and practical choice. Not only does it provide privacy and security, but it also adds aesthetic appeal to your garden. East Coast Fencing, a leading supplier of wooden fencing, offers a wide range of fencing options to cater to the diverse needs of homeowners. In this article, we will discuss the easiest fence to install yourself in the UK and provide relevant information to help make the process as straightforward as possible.
Understanding Traditional Wooden Fencing
While there are various types of fencing materials available, wooden fencing remains a classic choice due to its durability, versatility, and eco-friendliness. Some common types of wooden fencing found in the UK are:
- Closeboard fencing: This traditional style of fencing features overlapping vertical boards, offering maximum privacy and a robust structure.
- Lap panel fencing: Consisting of horizontally overlapping slats, lap panel fencing is a cost-effective option for creating boundaries and providing privacy.
- Picket fencing: Picket fencing is characterised by evenly spaced vertical boards, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a more decorative option.
- Trellis fencing: A trellis fence consists of an open framework of intersecting lattices, offering a stylish way to screen off areas, support climbing plants, or add aesthetic appeal.
The Easiest Fence to Install: Lap Panel Fencing
Lap panel fencing is widely considered the easiest wooden fence to install yourself in the UK. The pre-assembled panels make the job relatively quick and straightforward, even for first-time DIYers. Some advantages of lap panel fencing include:
- Affordability: Being a cost-effective option, lap panel fencing is ideal for homeowners on a budget.
- Easy installation: With pre-assembled panels, DIY enthusiasts can easily manage a lap panel fencing project without professional help.
- Low maintenance: The wooden panels are pressure treated, ensuring that they can withstand the elements and require minimal upkeep.
How to Install Lap Panel Fencing Yourself
To successfully install lap panel fencing, you'll need these tools and materials:
- Lap panels
- Wooden or concrete fence posts
- Post mix (concrete)
- Post caps
- Gravel boards
- Fencing clips
- Spirit level
- Tape measure
- String line
- Spade or post hole digger
- Rubber mallet
Follow these steps for effective installation:
- Measure and mark out the fence line using a tape measure and string. Clear any obstacles and ensure you have a flat, even surface.
- Dig holes for the fence posts, spacing them approximately the same distance as the width of the panels.
- Install your first fence post, using a spirit level to ensure it is level vertically. Add post mix to the hole and let it set.
- Attach fencing clips to the inside of the fence post and slide in the gravel board and lap panel. Make sure everything is level before securing it firmly.
- Repeat the process for the remaining fence posts and panels, checking that each is properly aligned.
- Finally, secure post caps for a neat finish and added protection.